In my opinion, Citrix Director is the best peace in XenDesktop 7 if you don't see it as a replacement for EdgeSight. That is what Citrix does, calls it an EdgeSight replacement but again, in my opinion, was a mistake to do. For customer who really used or still use EdgeSight, the "New" EdgeSight is more or less a joke. For those customers, Citrix must come up with something else or acquire another software or company for it like "Nexthing".
Again, Director "EdgeSight" is a nice integration but here is my list that could be better and let's hope Citrix will do something about it.
Out of real world experience, I had with Citrix Director, here is my "Wish-List".
The Director Wish-List
- "Shadow-Only" role permission
Users with "Shadow-Only" login to Director and can search for users (incl. scope filter). Once they picked the right user, they get a page or pop-up with only the shadow option (maybe shadow right away). Not everyone like "normal" user to see too many Details about another user.
- Application details
In the activity Manager, you can see the application details like what website the user has open right now. Not good! This is a privacy concern and should be fixed ASAP!
- Application usage for none published apps
Available only for published applications, why? I can get all the application details but not trackable? What about a customer who primarily uses publish desktops?
- Ressource (RAM, CPU, I/O) usage per Server, delivery Group
You can use the load index but that says nothing (even you have set advanced LB), you can maybe create custom reports BUT it should be there out of the box!
- Ability to set Service Level Agreements (SLA's)
Set levels, green, yellow and red for RAM, CPU, I/O and login duration. Then a customer can run a report and the admin or manager gets an email notification.
- Button placement or confirmation of some actions
Want to shadow a user? The button for logoff user is right next to it and if you do a "miss click", the user get's logged off without any confirmation! So either change the Locations but better get some confirmation on those actions. Logoff is not the only one...
- Awesome! I can see the logon duration in detail in the dashboard. Very detailed down to gpo timing etc. BUT where is the list of users for it! If you have hundreds of users logging on in a short time you still have to find a bunch of users. Director shows something like, happened between 8:00 and 8:05 and might be 10-50 users! Now find the one that had a Long logon duration! Citrix, make it easier to find those users so I can do something about the slow logon!
- HDX-Insight Integration
Cool that I can get the data from Netscaler but for the extra money spending on Netscaler Enterprise its not worth what I get in Director. The way it is - it should be for free!
- Where is the "NOT" filter when searching, showing users? You use a service account to install Software? Then you will get the user quite often but I don't want too! So a NOT filter would be great!
What else would YOU like to see on the wish-list?